1. Supervises internal maintenance staff, including electricians, plumbers, painters, carpenters, locksmith, preventive maintenance and HVAC staff, and a wastewater treatment plant operator. Guides and provides technical assistance to staff in the performance of their duties.
2. Plans and coordinates maintenance and construction projects (including supervision of internal staff and outside contractors) to ensure satisfactory progress, safety, and completion within the required schedule and budget.
3. Works with architects and engineers on routine maintenance issues, and during design phases on major construction projects to confirm Saint John's Physical Plant Campus Standards are followed and that sustainable, durable, and low maintenance products and construction methods are specified.
4. Acts as a primary agent with outside personnel related to elevator service contracts, roofing maintenance contracts, fire alarm inspections, and other required service work.
5. Conducts routine construction site visits to ensure work is being completed as designed and in accordance with code and campus standards. Identifies areas of potential concern/non-compliance and works closely with contractors and consultants to proactively problem solve and correct issues.
6. Provides rough cost estimates for small projects for planning purposes, as well as detailed accurate take offs for budgeting and/or larger projects.
7. Responds appropriately to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise (both during and after normal working hours), including determining which staff/contractors may be required to assist and providing direction and supervision to the responding team.
8. Consults and advises power house staff and outside utility providers as they relate to campus utilities, including issues that arise during utility outages.
9. Routinely analyzes facilities, updating the deferred maintenance/facilities audit report as appropriate. Plans for future maintenance needs accordingly and in relation to the annual budget.
10. Oversees the preventive maintenance program for campus buildings and utilities to maximize life and usefulness of operating equipment and facilities.
11. Analyzes existing and new building systems for the purpose of improving operating efficiency, utilizing the campus emergency management system and metering software.
12. Oversees Gopher One locate requests and locating of private campus utilities.
13. Ensures maintenance staff complete OSHA and other required safety training and certifications in order to conduct work in a safe and compliant manner.
14. Oversees operations and reporting of the wastewater treatment plant and swimming pool in accordance with PCA regulatory requirements.
15. This position requires the individual carry a cell phone to answer after hours calls. This may include after-hours call backs to Saint John's campus and/or serving as a resource via telephone from off campus.
16. Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree or appropriate degree desirable.
2. Minimum of seven (7) years demonstrated experience and expertise in building and campus maintenance, general construction activities/processes, capital project management, contract administration, budget preparation and construction project planning and programming.
3. Demonstrated experience and expertise in managing employees and providing leadership. Must have good interpersonal skills and have the ability to work effectively with and collaborate with staff, contractors, consultants and the campus population (faculty, students, monastics, etc.).
4. Demonstrated mechanical and electrical aptitude and experience in troubleshooting either mechanical or electrical control systems.
5. Considerable knowledge and/or experience working with general building components, including, but not limited to, locks, roofs and building envelopes, etc.
6. Demonstrated ability to make judgments and take initiative to complete both assigned and unassigned projects independently.
7. Experience with computers, proficient in Outlook, Excel and Word.
8. Demonstrated ability to formulate estimates and to conduct operations within those estimates.
9. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written forms, including the ability to communicate in technical terms with contractors and consultants.
10. Considerable knowledge in preparation and management of operational and capital budgets.
11. Ability to read blueprints and specifications.
12. Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.
OTHER DESIREABLE QUALIFICATIONS
1. Ability to learn Energy Management Control software (i.e. KMC, Johnson Controls, etc.)
2. Ability to create, compose and maintain spreadsheets as needed.
ADDITIONAL REQUISITES: (In addition to the qualifications noted on the job description, all employees are expected to abide by the following expectations):
1. Ability to interact with the community of the Order of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University.
2. Project a positive image of service which represents the unit to which assigned.
3. Willingness to acquire an understanding of the character and mission of Order of Saint
4. A willingness to maintain a high level of competence. Discreet judgement and confidentiality is expected of all employees.
The personal safety and health of each employee is of primary importance in our operation. Each employee has the responsibility to prevent accidents and injuries. The Order of Saint Benedict and its employees have the responsibility to comply with Federal, State and departmental regulations related to safety and health.
The College of Saint Benedict (CSB), a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John's University (SJU), a liberal arts college for men, are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota, surrounded by more than 3,000 acres of pristine forests, prairies, and lakes. The campuses are minutes away from St. Cloud, an increasingly diverse regional center with a population of over 100,000, and 70 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some CSB/SJU faculty and staff choose to reside locally, while others commute from the Twin Cities. Both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities offer a wide range of fine arts, cultural, dining, recreational, and sporting opportunities. CSB/SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB/SJU. We welcome faculty who devote themselves with passion and integrity to their disciplines and to a transformative educat...ion of their students. With a total enrollment of approximately 3600 students, faculty members develop relationships with students in small classroom settings and have opportunities to work closely with students on research projects, experiential learning experiences, and study abroad programs. Recent initiatives to create a dynamic general education curriculum and to develop plans for a new teaching and learning center demonstrate strong institutional support for faculty development. CSB/SJU offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program.