Are you ready to join an organization where we focus on People First, have fun at work and make a difference in what we do?
Dairyland is proud of our People First culture centered around appreciation, celebrating wins and collaboration. We’ve worked hard to ensure alignment between our culture and our processes and systems, learning and development and rewards and recognition programs. As a team, we work together to leverage the team’s diverse perspectives, ideas and experiences to deliver nothing less than the best. We are collaborative, transparent and committed to our People and their work experience, growth and professional development.
The Grid Modernization Engineer I is responsible for providing technical expertise and assistance to Dairyland and its member cooperatives to facilitate implementation of innovative and new end uses of electricity and management of electric loads for economic and operational benefits.
The Impact You'll Make In This Role:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Evaluate the use of emerging electrotechnologies (such as electric vehicles) to determine appropriate applications. Assist Dairyland in evaluating the risks and benefits of these technologies including economic payback calculations. Develop pilot programs as appropriate to test new technologies to validate applicability for Dairyland.
2. Evaluate load profile data collected from sub-metered residential, agricultural, commercial, and industrial retail loads to assess usage and potential energy savings. Perform business case analysis that shows the financial benefits to Dairyland, Member Cooperatives, and retail consumers.
3. Assist Dairyland’s Load Management department with the development, assessment, and implementation of effective end-use programs and technologies.
4. Prepare written reports and presentations to facilitate the transfer of data and findings from projects, research and energy education organizations such as EPRI, CRN, and MREC to Member Cooperatives and wholesale customers to maximize the benefits of these memberships.
5. Research changes in technology, market and regulations to evaluate the impact on Dairyland, its Member Cooperatives, and their retail consumers and other wholesale customers. Review trade publications, vendor literature, regulatory reports, and news services and maintain in-depth understanding of Dairyland programs, products and service offerings.
6. Participate in the setting of departmental and divisional goals and objectives. Perform other duties as assigned.
7. Identify and evaluate public and private funding opportunities for emerging electric technologies. Develop compelling project proposals, and complete grant applications.
8. Evaluate the market participation potential of demand response and distributed energy resources. Facilitate identification, communication, and tracking of the enrollment and performance requirements for market registration.
9. Monitor proposed interconnection standards and operational protocols for electrical end use equipment. Work with industry associations to assure standards include functions for utility control and data acquisition.
10. Assist Dairyland and distribution cooperatives with the implementation of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) for energy management applications.
11. Other duties assigned.
Your Skills and Expertise:
Education & Experience: Requires knowledge typically acquired through a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, physics, or agriculture, which includes course work in electrical engineering fundamentals. Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered. Certification as a Professional Engineer preferred.
Knowledge: Background in power applications and business analysis required. Working knowledge of energy intensive processes in residential, commercial, agricultural, and industrial environments required. Knowledge of electric energy applications and efficiency required. Knowledge and familiarity with energy markets preferred. Electro-mechanical and digital control equipment methods knowledge and familiarity with remote control of electrical equipment preferred.
-Requires strong computer, mathematical, and analytical skills in technical and financial areas including quantitative and qualitative problem-solving
-Requires sales and presentation skills including excellent verbal and written communication
-Must have personal integrity, excellent independent work habits, ability to interrelate positively to all levels of internal personnel, industrial and commercial personnel and the general public
-Must be able to communicate with diverse groups such as business leaders and decision makers and respond appropriately
-Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful programs that meet customer needs
-Must be an independent worker, working with minimal supervision
-Strong customer interaction skills and an ability to effectively communicate the technical merits of services, products, and programs to Member Cooperatives and their consumers.
-Ability to differentiate colors, dexterity to operate office equipment and near vision as required for PC and similar equipment
-Team oriented with variable tasks, usually at a variable-paced, variably-pressured rate
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand/sit; walk; use hands/fingers to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Dairyland is proud of its history as a pioneer in rural electrification. The generation and transmission cooperative formed in 1941, bringing light and power to the homes and farms in “America’s Dairyland.” Specifically serving rural communities and countryside, Dairyland continues to ease work conditions and improve quality of life for residents by delivering a safe, reliable supply of energy in its four-state service territory.