At Frederick Community College we proudly serve the educational needs of our students, help develop the economic vitality of our local communities, and enrich the lives of Frederick County residents. Each year, more than 16, 000 students take a diverse scope of courses at Frederick Community College, located in Frederick, Maryland. Our vast range of courses includes quality instruction in more than 85 degree and certificate programs as well as workforce training and continuing education to meet the needs and interests of our community members. FCC proudly embraces and showcases academics, arts, athletics and more to provide pathways to success for all students. Each year we provide direct service to thousands of residents and indirect services to countless more. We credit our ability to deliver these services to the strength and commitment of our people. We invite you to explore all that we have to offer!
Relocation Provided?: No
Provide support for the College physical plant and perform commercial level HVAC/R and BAS maintenance functions. Perform maintenance duties and provide multi-trade support and on-call rotation to Plant Operations and the Maintenance team. Reports to the Plant Maintenance Manager or his/her designee. This position is designated as essential personnel and will provide on-call emergency services for the College as described in the essential duties and responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are the functions essential to performing this job:
1. Perform in an essential personnel capacity and maintaining a presence at the main campus to provide needed snow/ice removal or other emergency Plant Operations services to the College as directed by your supervisor is a requirement of the job. Essential personnel are required to report for work or remain at work as directed, even if the College is closed or delayed.
2. Maintain current level of knowledge of HVAC/R trade practices and/or Building Automation Systems (BAS) for commercial buildings and campus systems.
3. Install, diagnose/troubleshoot problems, repair HVAC/R systems and related and supporting systems, fixtures, equipment, compressors, coils, DDC controls, pumps, chillers, boilers, etc. following all applicable codes, schematic diagrams, and other specifications or instructions.
4. Read and interpret plans, blueprints, and specifications for construction or remodeling, and may recommend appropriate replacement or new equipment to be compatible with existing systems or equipment and wiring.
5. Perform wiring of electrical boxes and conduit, switches, motors, pumps, and various control circuits related to the operation of HVAC/R equipment and systems.
6. Prepare product specifications and pricing quotes as required in performance of duties.
7. Prepare time, labor, and materials estimates as required in performance of duties.
8. Utilize a Computer based Work Order system (CMMS) to document maintenance and repairs.
9. Operate and maintain a safe and organized work place including vehicle, tool boxes, etc.
10. Ensure all work performed is within applicable codes, compliance, OSHA safety standards, and best practices.
11. Assist the Plant operations team in routine multi-trade skills related to electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, painting, general repairs and maintenance, event set-ups, and emergency clean-up when needed or assigned.
12. Perform preventative maintenance as scheduled, assigned or directed to ensure minimal system breakdowns.
13. Learn and maintain a proficiency with the campus energy management system software (building automation system (BAS)) and computerized maintenance management software (CMMS).
14. Use heavy equipment as trained and certified for snow removal, moving heavy objects, or making repairs. Equipment includes skid loaders, articulating or scissor lift(s), dump truck, pick-up trucks, service vans, tractors, and snow removal equipment.
15. Prepare specifications for the requisition of equipment, tools, parts, and supplies. Inspect upon receipt for adherence for specifications and quantities.
16. Serve as on-call technician on staff rotation of duties and respond to campus to perform emergency maintenance or related duties as needed to ensure support of classes and scheduled campus events.
17. Use varying styles, approaches, skills and techniques that reflect an understanding and acceptance of the role of cultural in a diverse, multi-cultural workplace.
18. Perform work involving ability to lift 80 pounds, long periods of standing, bending, squatting, walking. Ability to climb/descend stairs, climb up to a 12' step ladder or 20' extension ladder, work indoors or outdoors in seasonally warm or cold temperatures.
19. Perform other duties as assigned.
Salary: $30.90 - $34.00 hourly
FCC offers a generous benefits package which includes medical insurance, dental and vision plans, waiver of FCC tuition for employee and eligible dependents, tuition reimbursement, generous leave benefits, retirement plans, and more! Frederick Community College prohibits discrimination against any person on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status in its activities, admissions, educational programs, and employment. Frederick Community College, an equal opportunity employer, values campus diversity in students and staff and encourages members from historically under-represented groups to apply.
Frederick Community College (FCC) is a public college accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). FCC is distinguished by its quality and affordability, making it attainable and valuable for local students. Accredited programs, comprehensive instruction, and affordable costs of attendance have made FCC the learning destination for more than 200,000 students since 1957.